- To make a tax-deductible monetary donation, click on the yellow Donate button above, and you will be redirected to a link to our PayPal site. Monetary donations are used for veterinary care, microchips, supplies, and many other expenses to help keep our doors open.
- Donations can also be sent through Venmo to @starr-coyle.
- Donate Blankets/Crates/etc. Do you have any new or gently used dog items around your house unused? Our foster homes are always in need of blankets/sheets, dog beds, crates (travel and wire), exercise pens, dog toys, food and water bowls, and many other dog items. Please contact email@example.com and we will arrange pick up of the items!
- Shop our AMAZON WISH LIST! Click the "Donate Supplies from our Amazon wishlist?" box below.
- Shop our Chewy Wish List by clicking HERE!
- Become a Foster Home! Please refer to the Foster tab for information on becoming a foster home!
- Evaluate Potential Adopter and Foster Homes as a Home Visit Volunteer! Home visit volunteers are essential in the adoption process. We are growing and getting applicants in new areas all the time and therefore need new volunteers in those areas! You can read more about home visits on the Adopt a Shiba page. Volunteers are given a simple form to fill out with questions pertaining to the applicant and their household. You will be evaluating the applicant to make sure that they are prepared to bring a rescue Shiba into their home and care for its needs in a loving and nurturing environment. If you are interested in doing home visits but would like to see the process before you go out on your own, you may accompany one of our volunteers on a home visit. This will help give you a better idea of what it entails. If interested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Volunteer to Transport! Many of our shibas are released from commercial breeders in Iowa and Missouri and our foster homes are typically in Illinois and Wisconsin, although we welcome foster homes in any of the Midwest states we service. We rely on our network of volunteers to help transport shibas from their temporary foster homes across the states via 1-2 hour transport legs with trusted volunteer drivers. It is a rewarding experience to be able to help a dog get to their foster home and be a part of their story. Plus free shiba love and kisses, and no commitment! Great for those who want to help out but maybe can't foster due to apartment restrictions or resident pets that don't play well with others! If you are interested in helping with transports, please email email@example.com.
- Evaluations and Pictures of Owner Surrenders and Shelter Shibas. The number of Shibas that need rescue grows by leaps and bounds each year. SIRA gets Shibas from a variety of situations. Though we are unable to evaluate dogs released or seized from commercial breeders due to the urgency of those situations, we do evaluate each dog that we consider taking in from owner surrenders and shelters. For an evaluation, volunteers are provided with a form that is very easy to follow. Volunteers will go to the owner's home or the shelter and evaluate a dog for it's temperament and ability to deal with situations it would encounter during foster care and after adoption such as petting, loud noises, high activity, other dogs, etc. If we have not received pictures from the owner or shelter, volunteers may also be asked to take pictures for the Intake Coordinator to verify that the dog is in fact a Shiba.